a fire breaks out after a gas leak in shenyang, northeast chinas liaoning province, april 6, . [photo: inhua]
firemen have etinguished a blaze caused by a serious gas leak friday in shenyang.
no casualties were reported, but the fire cut power supplies to more than 2,000 households in the region, the local government said.
the accident took place at around 8:00 a.m. on nanwuma road, a major traffic artery close to dongbei university, one of the most renowned schools in the capital of northeast chinas liaoning province.
an underground gas pipeline was accidentally broken during road works and caught fire, said tong yongue, a publicity official with the municipal government.
tong said the construction company would be held accountable for the accident because it had started digging before identifying the location of underground pipelines.
flames soared more than 10 meters and destroyed high tension wires before the fire was put out at around 10:30. but the accident caused a blackout in the region and closing down restaurants, stores and banks.
"power supplies will hopefully resume in si to seven hours," said tong.
the accident also affected gas supplies to around 2,000 households.
it also caused traffic congestions in the city center.